Bridson & Horrox Group has become the only printing company on the Island to achieve a globally recognised accreditation for its environmental management from the UK’s official Accreditation Service (UKAS)*.
It has been awarded the UKAS ISO Standard 14001:2004 following years of hard work by its staff to redefine its processes, and implement a new business management framework designed to reduce the impact of its operations on the environment. This has resulted in a more efficient business performance, including a reduction in waste and consumption of resources, and lower operating costs.
Some key changes to the way Bridson & Horrox Group now operates include:
- Collection and recycling or safe disposal of all waste generated during the printing process, or waste collected from clients
- Sourcing of office furniture from ‘green’ suppliers
- Sourcing of paper supplies produced using sustainable resources
- Encouraging clients to use recycled paper and other materials wherever possible
- More efficient delivery routes to shorten journey times and reduce fuel consumption
- Adoption of ‘green’ policies by all staff in the workplace
The company’s Roland litho printing press is also ‘greener’ than other models available on the market. Staff are independently assessed on a regular basis to ensure they are continuing to meet the accreditation’s very strict criteria.
Companies with the ISO 14001: 2004 Standard are perceived to be innovative and forward-thinking both to prospective customers and employees; it also improves their access to new customers and business partners.
Based on the Hills Meadow Industrial Estate in Douglas, Bridson & Horrox Group specialises in all aspects of printing delivery, design, stationery provision, office furniture supply and signage supply to both corporate and private clients across the Isle of Man.
Darren Horrox, Chief Executive of Bridson & Horrox Group, commented: “The process of working towards, and ultimately achieving, this ISO environmental management accreditation has had a huge impact on our business, and certainly changed it for the better. It has made our employees more environmentally aware of their surroundings and the way they work, and they now actively reinvent business processes where necessary to help us maintain our green credentials.
“It has also helped us to help our clients become more aware of the environment and they way they can redefine their business processes to increase efficiency and performance, reduce their costs and ultimately become greener themselves.
“I’m incredibly proud of the hard work and dedication shown by our staff in achieving this prestigious Standard, and the way they are helping both Bridson & Horrox Group and our customers to become greener citizens.”
* UKAS is the sole national accreditation body recognised by the UK Government to assess, against internationally agreed standards, organisations that provide certification, testing, inspection and calibration services. Accreditation by UKAS demonstrates the competence, impartiality and performance capability of these evaluators. UKAS is a non-profit-distributing private company, limited by guarantee. It is independent of the UK Government but is appointed as the national accreditation body.